So the last article was all about good and bad foods, now you have a good idea of those let’s move on to superfoods. This is only a fraction of the superfoods out there but I hope it will give you a better understanding of the word ‘Superfood’.
What constitutes a superfood? Dr Gillian McKeith says ‘’Superfoods are the most powerful nutrient-dense foods on the planet, and they have virtually no calories, no bad fats or nasty substances.’’ So what are these superfoods? Well there are quite a few so let’s put them into categories, green superfoods, bee superfoods, herb-superfoods, sea vegetables, leafy superfoods and sprouts. It would take too long to go into each category in detail but I will list some of the foods for each category for the benefits of your next shopping list.
· Green superfoods – Spirulina, chlorella, wild blue/green algae, barely grass, wheat grass and alfalfa grass.
· Bee superfoods – Royal jelly, bee pollen and propolis. (For the non-vegans)
· Herb-superfoods – Nettle, aloe Vera, Echinacea, astragals, and Siberian ginseng.
· Sea vegetables – Dulse, nori, kelp, arane, wakame and hijiki.
· Leafy superfoods – There is so many, but here is a handful – Kale, chicory, lettuce, watercress, and Swiss chard.
· Sprouts – Again, there are so many, but here are a few – Alfalfa, buckwheat, lentil, mung, adzuki and clover.
For me and many others, the absolute king of all superfoods must be cocoa, not in the processed and destroyed state we are all seeing but it its Raw state, because for those of you that did not know, cocoa comes from a nut, and quite an amazing one at that. Cocoa has the highest vitamin C content in the world as well as the highest antioxidant levels in the world! WOW! I know, and there’s so many more punches packed in this nut, it has the highest levels of magnesium and chromium, possibly the highest levels of manganese, zinc and copper. These benefits only come from the product being in its Raw state.
There are so many of these amazing food stuffs out there that we know virtually nothing about, unfortunately in these modern times inverted values are common place, many people would rather spend their money on fast cars, fashionable clothing and new gadgets than the best superfoods on the planet.